Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What the Moon Brings by H.P. Lovecraft

This story actually reminds me of a dream I had when I was 5, 6 years old. I used to be afraid of the dark, not the moon in particular. This short story, for me, effectively captures the time when you realize that moon and the dark make everything look different. No matter how familiar you are with your surroundings, the darkness and the moon can make it seem sinister and uninviting. It makes everyday object actually seem like entirely different things. Lovecraft describes how walls turned to a never ending garden. In my experience everyday objects, always seem to turn into people hiding in the dark. I guess that how I’m imposing my own personal fear into what I see in the dark. This was a rather short story, but I think Lovecraft captures the feeling of being alone in an unfamiliar and menacing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment