Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hitchhikers Guide

For this book, I just listened to the audio books. It was very amusing. The characters were very sarcastic, but I love that kind of humor. This was a very easy audio book to get into. The only thing that kept throwing me off was the voice effect that they used for the Vogons. It wasn’t cold or menacing. As for the main character, I thought he was very funny. I think the reason I get annoyed with him sometimes, is mainly because I am jealous of his situation. I would love to have experienced what he has experienced. I also like the whole idea of things happening and actually recognizing the probability of that happening. I bet many things happen in our everyday lives that are highly improbable that we don’t think twice about. When the improbability of things is told to us in the book, it makes what has happened slightly more amusing. “What are the odds!”. I think Arthur Dent must be one the luckiest men in Hitchhikers. He just happens to have a best friend from another planet that saves his life and happens to know a lot about the universe because he is a researcher. I do like how the deal with the Vogons. They almost mock them. I especially love the part where the Vogons are reading poetry, and when Arthur and Ford give them compliments on their poetry.
One of the most curious parts of the book for me was when the Ultimate Answer was revealed to be the number 42. I knew ahead of time that the answer would obviously be inconclusive. It wouldn’t suit the book to try to give a legit answer. However I loved the idea of given a number as an answer to the meaning of life. It adds to how amusing and unpredictable this book was for me when I first read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment