Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Anansi Boys

I rather enjoyed this book. At first I wasn’t sure whether I would get into it, but then after watching Neil Gaiman’s interview in class I decided to give this book a shot. I like the way he very cleverly integrated both reality and fantasy elements. I think what I liked most about this read was that it resembled a storytellers way of sharing stories. It is almost as if he sometimes gets sidetracked trying to explain things, and then eventually returns into the telling the story. A thing that I found surprising was that it revolved around African mythology. I vaguely recall in class the mention of the characters being black, but I guess that hadn’t fully registered because I was still surprised when I read the book. I love the idea of incarnations. My favorite character had to be Spider. At first he annoyed me because he kept doing things like pretending to the Charlie and getting him into trouble and sleeping with Rosie, but his character is just very cool. I liked the part where he made a little spider out of clay while he is imprisoned by Tiger. I can actually live with the ending where Spider and Rosie end p together because it didn’t seem like Rosie should’ve ended up with Charlie if she couldn’t tell that Spider wasn’t really Charlie. The bird woman was also a very intriguing character, and it was rather odd that she would want claim over the Anansi bloodline.

No comments:

Post a Comment