Thursday, April 29, 2010

Re-Post: Final - The Hobbit

So for my redo I decided to write about Tolkien’s The Hobbit again. In my previous post about the Hobbit, I had vaguely mentioned that the level of background information made it more enjoyable and believable. However that’s not the only thing that made love this book. I can’t get over the idea of an old unfit man (hobbit) going on an adventure to fight dragons, wargs, and spiders. I love that he is such an unlikely hero. Another the reason why the Lord of the Rings was so captivating to me as well. I admit that I tried to read the Lord of the Rings with little success. It was one of those “I bit more than I could chew” books for me. The Hobbit, however, was an easy read, and a book I think most people could easily get into. At times, it was hard to understand some of the phrasing, but in general with Tolkien’s in-depth descriptions on terms and names, I felt like we don’t get that lost in this new middle earth world. Very much like a story teller sharing a story, he make sure that everyone can understand it’s context and setting even if it means sidetracking and explaining the significance of certain elements. I also like that it is a rather clever book. It isn’t all slaying and hero action. There are riddles, and characters that must problem solve, rather than just fight head on without thinking. There’s some strategy involved that is fun to see through. For instance, when they are captured by trolls, I was interested in seeing how this would play out, and how Bilbo and the other would get out of such a mess. It is interesting to see how the characters were able to get out of the many dangerous situations they were in with the use of their wits, and little bit of luck. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and will eventually give Lord of the Rings another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment