Thursday, April 15, 2010

Seventh Voyage by Stanislaw Lem

This short story was not what I expected at all. This story was rather humorous. I felt for the poor man, but mainly I just laughed at all the misfortunes. He’s stuck out in space with a wrench and good sirloin steak revolving around him. The help that he could get from his future self to fix the rudder, he ignored because he thought it was a dream only to realize it wasn’t. It got a bit confusing when he started bringing the days of the week into play, especially when he argues with Wednesday self about their ability to fix the rudder. It was only a small portion of the story though. It was both amusing and interesting watching both sides of his arguments and conversations. His future self is always more knowledgeable and becomes frustrated by his past self. It’s weird to think that we learn so much in just a few hours. Of course our future selves would be wiser, but I had envisioned this to be us 30 plus years from now. I had never considered whether I would be that much wiser a few hours from now. Not to the point where I would frustrated with myself for being so stubborn and clueless. I felt so bad for Ichy when he finds out about Friday him and Sunday him. This means he has been there and is going to be there for a while. It’s quite curious because now he has more than enough people to fix the rudder, so it makes you wonder why there’s a Sunday him in the first place. Also seeing his future-self hurt must not be such an easy thing. I would in constant fear of the injury happening any second. I like that as you read on you encounter more problems. It makes it interesting again. Just when you think the problem is solved, we find out that there is only one spacesuit available and that now that there are more that one Ichy, there are more people to feed. I found it really funny that he had to trick himself ending up in a fight between his various selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment