Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bloodchild by Octavia E. Butler

What I found the most disturbing about this story was how Butler wrote it. It doesn’t hit the reader right away what is happening or what the story is really about. At first I was confused about certain things, but as the story progresses, it becomes clear that this story is rather twisted. I had wondered why this T’Gatoi was trying to fatten up Gan. It also explains why the mother acted so strange at the beginning of the story. I don’t know how I would feel if I knew that I was to be the host for some parasites. Personally, I don’t see how getting to know the creature, who will eventually use me to home her parasitic children, make her putting eggs inside me any less disturbing. I’m already creeped out by the fact that women have to give birth. I find the idea of a living thing coming out of me, really strange and disturbing. I don’t think I could handle living the way they do. I imagine myself acting like Qui. I would try to find a way out. I don’t really know how even the mother could watch as her children get used for other species’ reproductive purposes. I think Butler did a great job in making this concept relate to large group of people. She didn’t make it so that only women could connect to the book, but I feel like she succeed in making this relate to men as well.

The scariest thing about T’Gatoi was her personality. She was strangely nice and caring but at the same time she could be cold and very business like. She knows what she wants and how to get it. This character reminded me a lot about the “other mother” from Coraline.

No comments:

Post a Comment